Home again, home again

July 23rd, 2012

I have seen the inside of a LOT of airports in the past few weeks — St. Louis, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston… still to come are trips to Ashland and San Francisco (not book stuff for those trips, though, just family & friends stuff).  I have to say, I love it that so many airports have comfy rocking chairs scattered around — I make a beeline for them every time I spot one!

I wish you all could have been with me in Minneapolis last week when I helped kick off the Betsy-Tacy Convention.  It was FABULOUS!  So many fellow Betsy-Tacy enthusiasts in one spot, so much laughter, so much fun.  The best part (besides meeting so many incredible people, that is)? Getting to take a tour of Betsy & ____’s first apartment!  (I left the name blank just in case you haven’t read BETSY’S WEDDING yet — no spoilers allowed!)

This is the apartment building — it’s in a really cool old neighborhood in Minneapolis.  Upstairs is the actual apartment where author Maud Hart Lovelace and her husband Delos (the real Betsy & ____) first lived, and it’s adorable.  Teeny tiny by modern standards, but the perfect little love nest for two honeymooners, in my opinion.  It was incredibly nice of the current tenant to let 200 rabid fans troop through and take pictures and sigh over how charming everything is, and how closely it matches the description in the book.  I was ready to move right in!

So where are your travels taking you this summer?

45 Responses to “Home again, home again”

1. HockeyRules says:

That sounds so fun!!!! 🙁 I missed it. The only place I visited this summer was Colorado.

2. Hilda says:

Sounds like you had fun. Are there still people living in that apartment?

We were going to put up the swimming pool but since there’s construction going on on the street behind us, we decided not to. Bummer!

Yes, there’s a tenant in the apartment — it’s been in use all these years! Fun, huh?

• Hilda says:

Amazing! 🙂 I wonder if she gets tired of people visiting everyday.

Well, it was just open to the public for that one morning that we all were gathered for the convention. She’d go nuts otherwise! 🙂

3. Natalie says:

I have been to Sad Diego and Estes Park, CO. That we’re both amazing and beautiful!

How’d you like Minnesota?

LOVE Minnesota — had breakfast by Lake Minnetonka one day, which was glorious. And I especially love the Minnesotans. They’re all so friendly!

5. Zoe says:

I REALLY wish I could have been there. I finished the first four books in the Betsy Tacy series in the last two days. Right now I’m actually in Oregon visiting my grandmother and I found out that the library has the Betsy Tacy series while mine doesn’t. So, since I only have a week here, I’m reading as fast as I can.
    To tell the truth, I didn’t think I would like the series much. My dad read the first four books to me when I was four and I remember them being pretty dull, but I remembered wrong. I am seriously hooked and if I don’t finish the whole series by the end of this trip I will be extremely annoyed. I love all the people in Deep Valley (and Deep Valley itself obviously). My favorite character is Mrs. Poppy because who doesn’t love Mrs. Poppy? I laughed out loud at some parts in Betsy and Tacy go Downtown and I’ve found out that Betsy is almost exactly like me, just like Emma is. I’d like to thank you, Heather, for re-introducing me to this series and the wonderful place that Deep Valley is.
    I’d also like to thank you for reading my long boring paragraph when you’ve probably heard the same thing said about a thousand times.

Boring? Are you kidding me? I LIVE for comments like yours, Zoe! It makes my heart sing to know that readers are discovering and re-discovering wonderful classics like the Betsy-Tacy series through my books. Glad you’re having fun in Deep Valley — and yeah, I agree, who doesn’t love Mrs. Poppy? 😉

6. Mo says:

Heather you are soo lucky you get to travel a lot the last time i was at an air port was last week, but that was just to pick up my friends dad and brother. The last time i’ve actually been inside an airport was two years ago. This year,like last year, i’m saying home or to my friends house (which is 4 HOURS away). I think my past summers have been boring, but one of my besties said she loved the stories i wrote for class assignments so i’m kinda workin on somthin right now and sending her what i’ve done. Shes liked what i’ve written so far but lets hope she likes the rest. (I really trust her judgement on this project. I just love her)
    *Lil Red*

7. Ivan Shellenbarger says:

Hi Heather,

I see half of my back made your website. It was great to get to talk to you even more than I expected.

8. Kami says:

I bet that was really fun!!! I’m reading the Betsy-Tacy books and I can’t wait to find out who “blank” is!!!!

9. Your trip sounds sooo fun!!!!! It would be really cool to see all the real places that were in the book! Right now we are vacationing on the Oregon coast with my grandparents!! It is really pretty:)

10. Got2Love Emma says:

My family just got back yesterday from a vaction to Dodge City and Witchita in Kansas. It was VERY!!!!!!!!!!! Hot!!!! But it was fun.

11. A.L. Alonso says:

It sounds amazing Mrs.Frederick! I wish I was there right now 😀

12. sfgposey24 says:

We actually went to San Francisco this summer. I loved it
    so much. I’m a huge homebody, but I find myself getting homesick for San Francisco.

13. H says:

That trip does sound great! We went to New Hampshire.

14. gloria says:

So will the mother daughter book club end in thr last book?

15. jockgirl says:

I haven’t gone anywhere yet this summer but next week I get to go on a mission trip to Denver with CSM! But I did go to Minnesota a couple of years ago… it was really fun! Was it hot while you were there??? It is insanely hot in Kansas, and just about everywhere else rite now!

16. Lilian says:

I just wanted to say how much I love your books 🙂 and I wanted to ask…have you ever considered making them into movies?? That would be amazing. Oh and I am in the process of getting a book my friend and I wrote published! Thanks for inspiring me 😉

Wonderful that you’re publishing a book! Way to go! As for a movie, it’s not up to me. Let’s keep our collective fingers crossed that someone in Hollywood spots them and thinks they’d make a good film…

17. jess+darcy says:

im going to oregon in a couple days. we are visiting family and we go basically every other year.

18. MDBCgirl says:

Hi Heather!!! I wanted to know if maybe you could post a list of your favorite authors or books you would recommend. I love the classics so much more than all the dark and weird stuff being published today, but the classics have been read many times over and over again. Do you have any authors that are good(not trashy) without being creepy? Your books are the ones that I read over and over again!!!! Thanks so much. Hope your summer is going great!!

Librarians are your best resources (seriously, they LIVE for these kinds of questions and would about faint with happiness to be asked) – I’m so busy writing these days, I barely have time to read! 🙁

19. A.L. Alonso says:

Yeah I went to Chicago and Indiana this summer.

20. Alexandra says:

I must be a nerd!! When I read your title, I really wanted to say, “Jiggety Jig!” (Home again, home again, jiggety jig??) 🙂

21. Kalyn says:

I’m going to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to see Winter the dolphin

22. JessDelanysTwin says:

I know, wasn’t the apartment so cute? It was so amazing meeting you, Heather!

23. Naomi says:

Hi heather! I think they should make mdbc into a
    movie. That would be awesome. Could you tell
    me which girl is on the cover for each book? I know
    Dear Pen Pal is Megan but I don’t know the rest. I was the
    One who wrote you the letter in March I think and I put it up on
    my wall. My dad thought it was so cool that you actually replied. Sorry
    I haven’t written back I’ve been so busy! You probably don’t remember
    My letter because you get so many! When is the sixth book coming out? (Has it already?) I LOVE YOUR BOOKS!!! 🙂 sorry this is so long!

Sixth book is coming out October 23rd, Naomi. Jess is on book #1, Cassidy on MUCH ADO, Megan is on DEAR PEN PAL, Emma is one PIES & PREJUDICE, Becca is on HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, and Megan will be on WISH YOU WERE EYRE. Hope that helps! 🙂

24. Naomi says:

Also I will try to write back to you soon!!