Take a trip with an Austen fan

July 10th, 2012

I’ve always loved Susan Branch‘s homespun artwork and lovely books, and now I love her even more — it turns out she’s a Jane Austen fan!  Click here to check out her fabulous blog post about her recent trip to Chawton, and tour of Jane Austen’s house.  I was there a few years ago doing research for Pies & Prejudice, and reading her post was like being there again!

Wish I was there right now.  Sigh…

Jane Austen’s house in Chawton

Me standing by Jane’s writing table

43 Responses to “Take a trip with an Austen fan”

1. Sarah Luvs MDBC says:

Wow. What’s on her table?

2. HannaH says:

that is super cool!!!! i really want to go to chawton!!!!

3. Zoe says:

Awesme. I really have to read Pride and Prejudice.

4. HockeyRules says:

That is so cool ! When is Wish you Were Eyre coming out?
    I don’t think I can wait any longer

5. Hilda says:

Amazing!! :)

6. Got2Love Emma says:

Oh my Gosh Heather!!! You look like you should be Emma in Pies & Prejudice! :D

7. Sandy says:

Oh! Is this where Emma and the Book Club went to, after Mrs. Eva died? Where Emma started hyperventilating after she saw that Jane Austen had written in the margins, just like she did? I’m sorry if I’m wrong. I went to England last summer because my cousins live there, and I totally wish I visited there! We only went to the Big Ben, The Tate Modern, the bridge, and some others. Fascinating, but still . . . .

8. jockgirl says:

Mmmm, I wish I could go there!!!

9. A.L. Alonso says:

Yeah I wish I could go there it looks amazing !

10. Emma (Stewart Fan!) says:

I’m dying to explore there! It looks like a wonderful place to be.

11. fashionista jane says:

That is so amazing that you got to stand that close to her desk!
    My family is planning a trip to England- that will definitely be on my list. Did you get to see her books, her handwriting, or her room, like in pies and prejudice?

All of the above! Be sure and go to the British Library in London, too, where one of her original manuscripts is on display. Just like Emma did, you can see her scribblings in the margins, and her edits. Very cool!

12. isabel says:

That is so cool! When I go to england one day i will definitely go to chawton! I hope wish you were eyre is coming along well!

13. Margaret loves the MDBC! says:

Oh my gosh. That close to her table! !!!

14. Lisa says:

The door still squeaks, right? I would love to go to England, especially after I read all the details in PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. I find it hilarious when Cassidy learns what the bowl on the shelf was for. No indoor plumbing for them! :)

15. HockeyRules says:

Yeah Pies and Prejudice made me wish for England I even found a house swap http://www.homeexchange.com/show.php?id=103007 .

16. Mackenzie says:

Wow! I LOVE those pics. And I’m reading Sense and Sensibilty by Jane Austen, which I got from the library, and after that, I’m gonna tackle Pride & Prejudice! SOOOOOO excited.

17. Amelia says:

I’m guessing you’re a Mrs. Hawthorne yourself… I’ve even noticed some of your sayings make their way into your books! :-)

18. Emma says:

Oh wow, this is fun to see because I’ve been there!! It was so fun to read this portion in Pies and Prejudice too, because I have even been to the cafe and know exactly what it looks like and everything… sigh… which I was there again! Thanks for posting this! :)

19. Mackenzie says:

In a way, I think I’m a lot like Emma. She wants to be a writer, and she LOVES books just like I do. And she’s kind of a homebody, like it says in the book. But I also love the outdoors and fashion, so in those ways I’m like Megan and Jess.

20. Anna E. says:

amazing! i wanted to know, do you write your rough drafts on paper?

I often start out writing longhand (on paper), but quickly switch to my laptop once the story starts flowing, mostly because I can type REALLY FAST (like 100+ words per minute). But I love noodling around with ideas on paper, too.

21. malessandro says:

Wow! That is AMAZING!!!! Speaking of this subject my mom and I just got back from a Canada/New England Cruise and we went to PEI!(Prince Edward Island! I saw the Green Gables House and went down Lovers Lane!

22. CH. says:

heather at a historical place like this do u squint ur eyes too to imagine what it was like bak then? I do that too :)

23. ForeverLouise says:

I live in England – its awesome!