Turning over a new leaf

November 7th, 2012

So I’ve been doing a lot of traveling this last year, and am finally home again now for a good long stretch.  Which means I finally have time to clean my office!  Here’s what it looked like a few days ago:

Can you believe that mess?  It’s a total hurrah’s nest, as my Nova Scotia grandmother used to say.  (She pronounced it “who-raw’s nest.”)  This is what happens when you’re juggling multiple deadlines and lots of travel.  But it sure makes for a horrid place to work.

I’ve been busy these past few days, sorting, tidying, filing, tossing, dusting, vacuuming, straightening, and organizing.  I finally finished last night.  Here’s what it looks like now:

Ahhh.  MUCH better — I can breathe again!  And write.  Which is what I’m going to do right now…

Tidy surroundings are a vital part of my writing process.  How about you?

54 Responses to “Turning over a new leaf”

1. Nicole says:

Your office looks really comfy and neat! Perfect place to sit down with a good book.

• Sandy says:

My room looks like that, minus the neatness! Once about every two months is when I clean it, and then I start to throw books onto my bed and clothes on the ground and it turns into a total hurrah’s nest again!

2. Anna says:

Yes, definitly. I don’t like having my room messy either, but especailly when my bed isn’t made!!! That throws off the WHOLE feng shui. I love to write too, so having a clean, cozy surrounding helps me think and relax.

3. Zoe says:

Wow! I love your office! I’m a real neat freak and I like to keep everything in my room organized. I even have the books on my book shelf in alphabetical order. 😀

4. Cassie says:

Heather!!! Your office is MY DREAM one… so fresh,clean and pretty! I can totally picture myself in there for hours and hours working…

Wow!!!!!:) i love the after photo such a cute and wonderful office! I just cleaned out my desk space yesterday! It feels great to be able to write and draw in a clean area!!! Keep writing!! 🙂

6. Got 2 love Emma says:

Very nice. It woudl probably take a lot more than a few days to make my room clean. Unless my mom taskes everything out of my room and throws it in the hall and says I can’t go to play practice without getting everything out of the hall. It ususally works

7. Josie says:

Of course! But that is sometimes just a way to procrastinate on homework. 🙂

8. Anna says:

Wow how cute!!! Is your office PINK?

9. Mrs. Darcy Hawethorne(sry Jess) says:

Oh…um well I hate cleaning but love organizing so when I write I like my desk to be super clean and I like spend half the time like shuffling papers, and straightening things, then pulling things out and…. Yeah. Do I write on my bed before I go to bed and that’s much easier.

10. Kami says:

For me, tidy surroundings are a vital part of any process!

Totally agree! I’m an aspiring author myself, and though I share my room with my younger sister, I try to keep it tidy because I like it, and makes it less stressful when I just want to sit and read or write and not worry about my mess. Your office looks amazing! It looks just like my dream room! Hope you enjoy writing, because I sure will enjoy the books!!
    Love, Emily

12. Maddie says:

So much better! I’m not the most organized person but I don’t need everything to be in exact places. But I do need space to breathe and write!!!! Haha. Let the creativity flow. 😀

13. Amelia says:

Ah, now that’s better! I agree, I can be pretty messy at times, but it doesn’t take long to clean it up if you put your mind to it. 🙂

14. Lily says:

Oh I love your office! My desk area where I write is really messy too so I’ll have to clean it, someday.

15. Totally, I can’t even think when my room a mess. By the way heather, have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo. I is this progrm where you try to write a 50,000 page novel in a month. I am doing it now and it is really fun!!

16. ilovemdbc says:

wat r u writing now???

17. Aly says:

Thats a really cute desk! I’ve been begging my parents for a one (budding journalists need their space to write!) so hopefully i’ll get one this Christmas.

18. HockeyRules says:

THAT is Way beter 🙂

What book are you writing?

I agree much better!!

20. 13 says:

I enjoyed reading th Mother Daughter Book Club!!!

21. Blackbird says:

For me, it’s not really how messy or clean wherever I’m working is, it’s more how much noise and how much other stuff there is that I have to do. I write about whatever I want to write about, so it also helps if it’s a subject that I want to write about, like something I have a strong opinion on or something that makes me really upset or happy.

22. Susan says:

Beautiful! Love seeing your writing nest…xx

23. Faithers23 says:

Wow! The before shot looks like my room now, and the after shot looks like what my room looked like the last time I cleaned it (last week…) hahaha I really need to clean up!

24. allie says:

I love your office! Its so neat!

25. Mrs. Darcy Hawethorne(sry Jess) says:

May I just say I’m really impressed how much time you put into this blog and write amazing books!!!!! Your my role model!

26. Beverly Bemis says:

Hi Heather, Love your choice of colors. We’ve had a peach living room for over 40 years now – it’s so comforting. A friend called it “pink,” but peach/apricot is so much more, and just glows when the sun is going down and shines in the room. I would never change it – ever – just too perfect !!! Miss seeing you in Oregon occasionally, but love visiting everyone in St. Louis, even though it can’t compete visually with Oregon – like Colorado, but with water. Hope paths cross again, sometime.

27. Lily says:

Ahhhhhh. I love a neat room!

28. KatieTheObsessed says:

Your office (clean and messy) looks like a mash up of before and after I re arranged my room. Sort of. 😛

29. Nicole says:

I was wondering.. Where did you get the idea for the Hawthorne’s pink kitchen? Sorry if this is a weird question!

From the kitchen of the house my family rented in England a zillion years ago when I was in 6th grade. It was a 400-year-old stone cottage with a thatched roof and a gorgeous pink kitchen. I’d really love to have a kitchen like it someday!

30. Tessa says:

Looks like my room… The dirty one!;)