Owls on my mind

January 14th, 2013

Can you tell what I’ve been researching lately?

Owl booksHere are a few fun facts that I’ve learned so far:

1.  Owls’ eyes are fixed in their sockets, so they have to turn their whole head in order to look in any given direction.

2.  There are somewhere between 140 and 200 owl species worldwide (scientists are not in agreement on the total), and North America is home to 21 of those species.  The largest is the Great Gray at about 27 inches tall; the smallest is the Elf Owl at 6 inches tall.

3.  Owls have particularly soft feathers, and the ones at the front edge of their wings are fringed, which acts as a silencer.

4.  The word “owl” comes from the Old English word “ule,” meaning “to howl.”

When I went to my local library here in Garden Home (that’s really the name of the community where I live — isn’t it fabulous?) to pick up the stack of books I’d reserved, I showed off the picture I took of the owl in my backyard to my librarian friends.  (Click here to see it.)  Someone behind us piped up, “It’s probably a Barred Owl.”  I turned around to see a smiling woman in an “Audubon Society Staff” sweatshirt standing there.  Wow — now that’s what I call a full-service library!  They’d arranged to have someone on hand to answer my question before I even asked it…

Well, OK, maybe not.  But still — I LOVE my local library!

Research is such a fun part of my job.

*Click here to read about some recent successful owl rehabilitations at my local Audubon society — Jess Delaney would totally approve.

28 Responses to “Owls on my mind”

1. Zoe says:

Wow! I love those facts! So awesome! I love researching too. I like doing homeschooling projects on all sorts of things. Maybe I should do a project owls one of these days! 😀

2. Nicole says:

The stories of those birds are so sad! But I have to agree Jess Delaney would definitely approve! 🙂

3. Jessica says:

Will owls appear in your next book???

Definitely! Am still figuring out how to work them in.

• cellogirl says:

really can you give us any hints about the storyline?

Not ready to give much away yet — it’s still early days, and I like to keep my stories under wraps in the early stages — but it’s a contemporary story with a bit of a mystery. If you like MDBC, you’ll like this one!

• cellogirl says:

oooooooo i can’t wait!!!!!! OMG I CAN’T WAIT!
            mdbc+ mystery!!!like my to favorite genres ever!
            and yes i do put the mdbc it too its own class!:)

4. Jocelyn says:

Cool!

5. ilovemdbc says:

Does anyone know of any good books I should read??? I like books with action and romance but I also like books like Heather’s.

• Kami says:

It looks like we kind of like the same kind of books, so I have a couple that you might like.

1. Flyaway by Lucy Christopher

2. The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman

3. Close to Famous by Joan Bauer

4. Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur

I hope that you like them!!!

• cellogirl says:

gossip girl
      the clique
      THE HALO BOOKS!!!(halo,hades,heaven)
      they are the second BEST books ever! after mdbc…..

6. Lily says:

Whats your new book going to be about?

7. Mary Grace says:

Wow it looks like you’ve been busy! I may be wrong, but do I suspect an upcoming book about owls? 🙂

8. Faithers23 says:

Thats really cool! I know many many people tell you this but really you have no idea what an amazing impact you are on my life. For starters, your books are so relatable and well written and just plainley AMAZING! Also, i really didnt know what i wanted to be when i get older but once i read your books it opened my mind to the idea if becoming an author. Since then i have not been able to stop writing and reading. Because of you, I am reading books like Little Women and Pride abd Prejiduce, and hardly anyone my age at my school even knows what those books are. I really want to thank you for being there for me in the form of your books for me all these years. Thank you Thank you Thankyou! I really cannot thank you enough, Heather.
    Love
    Faithers23

9. Got 2 love Emma says:

Ooooh!!! Owls! My bookclub read the Owl Keeper and my BFF is kind of obsessed with them the way I am obsessed with accents.

10. Julia says:

I was re-reading MDBC and I saw something about an owl in a painting at the Orchard House! I thought of you when I saw it because you have been talking about them so much lately!

11. ~*Cassidy*~ says:

I’ve always loved owls.. So co they are going to be in your next book! In my front yard, we had 2 owls sitting there for an hour or too! Probably barred.

12. Tatum says:

i like the first one because i cant move my eyes up and down so i have to move my head.
    maybe I am an owl!;)

13. Kami says:

That’s cool!! I like all of your facts about owls! I can’t wait to see what role owls play in your next book!!! 🙂 🙂

14. August says:

I love owls, my friends always joke about my obsession! I read the gaurdians of Ga’hoole and ever since the love has only grown!!!

I love the Guardians of Ga’hoole, too, although I am not finished with the series yet.