December 30th, 2013

OK, so I know I said I wasn’t going to post anything until the new year, but I couldn’t resist sharing this picture of a totally contented author!

HVF Knitting Christmas 2013

Here I am at a friend’s house over this past weekend. She lives in Seattle in a beautiful home overlooking Puget Sound, which you can just about see through the window behind me. Could I look any happier?  My family and I had just been fed an amazing dinner, which concluded with one of the best desserts I’ve ever had in my life (the Barefoot Contessa’s Panettone Bread Pudding – click here for the recipe). I had TWO HELPINGS!

Hey, it’s the holidays. Don’t judge me.

And now I’ve collapsed into this wildly pretty and wildly comfortable armchair for after-dinner conversation and knitting.

Check out the blanket I’m wrapped in. Is it fabulous or what? My friend gave it to me for Christmas, and I’m crazy about it already. It’s the perfect blanket for a writer, printed with famous lines from classic novels. Lines such as “Call me Ishmael” (anyone?), “Reader, I married him” (c’mon, you know this!), and “It’s a truth universally acknowledged” (my favorite).

As for the knitting, if you look closely, you might be able to tell that I’ve got my project stashed in my favorite Betsy-Tacy bag, the one I got at the 2012 convention. I met some of you there, remember? Anyway, I recently started knitting again after a long hiatus — like over a decade — and I find myself wondering why I ever stopped. It’s something that gives me such joy! I love everything about knitting, from poking around in yarn shops swooning over all the colors and textures, to choosing just the right pattern, to watching the project grow. I love thinking about the person I’m making the item for as I work on it, too (in this case, an infinity cowl scarf for a young friend and former Sunday School student – the lavender is going to look beautiful on her).

Since I haven’t knit in a while, I started off with something simple. A soft, nicely textured bulky mohair blend on size 10 needles, in an easy K2, P1 ribbing. Piece o’ cake, which is just what I needed to get back in business again.  I used to knit all sorts of intricate things — Fair Isle and Icelandic patterns, cute little multi-colored baby sweaters with animals designs on them, I even mastered cables! I need some practice before I leap back into the deep again, though, so this simple scarf is the equivalent of paddling around in the shallow end.  It’s working up quickly, which is highly satisfying. I can’t wait to finish it and give it to my friend. I’ll be sure and post a picture of it, both here and on ravelry.com (I’m HeatherVF for any of you fellow ravelers).

That’s it for the update. Now I’m really signing off until the new year.  Happy almost 2014, everyone!

17 Responses to “Picture of contentment”

I absolutely love the blanket! Moby Dick, Jane Eyre, and of course Pride & Prejudice. 😀 Some of my favorite books!

Knitting is so pretty! I’ve always wanted to learn how, although my friend Quinn is teaching me how to crochet. The scarf looks beautiful! Happy almost-new-year, Heather!

2. Dear Mrs. Frederick, I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying Christmas/ New Year’s vacation. I am also enjoying it. I just finished writing a story called Merry Holidays and I finally received Pies and Prejudice for Christmas. It was such a fun adventure to read about the MDBC girls! I am really happy you continued your old hobby knitting. I’ve never tried knitting but you make it sound so creative and fun! Yes, please post a picture of the blanket on your blog! Have a happy New Year!

3. Jane Blogger says:

I just learned how to knit and I’m horrible but my mother’s like a genius. Happy New Year!
    (Also, I got the book, thanks!)

4. Adriana says:

Oh my goodness! I can’t believe its almost 2014. Holy Cow! 2013 just went soooo fast!

5. Emma (Stewart Fan!) says:

Yay knitting! I needed to finish up a late Christmas present for a friend yesterday, so I curled up in my basement, put on Les Miserables (2012, one of my favourite movies) and knit right through to the credits. My fingers were a bit stiff afterwards!

This is exactly what I do – I don’t feel so guilty about watching TV if my fingers are busy doing something useful ha ha. 😉

Awesome blanket!(And Barefoot Contessa is my favorite cook on the Food Network!) 🙂

7. Karly says:

It looks like you are enjoying the holidays! 🙂 My Grandma taugt my older cousin and I how to knit a long time ago. She recently taught me a new style. It is a Sashay Ruffle scarf from Red Heart. It’s really easy, at least in my opinion. Have fun! Happy New Years!

8. DolphinLover says:

My mom and I want to know where you got your arm chair!!! It looks so comfy!

9. Karly says:

Of course

10. Danielle L says:

I love the colour of that yarn! I remember knitting (very messily) when I was around five years old, that was around the time when my grandmother taught me. We used to sit around on her couch and watch TV (early age multi-tasking), and she would correct all of the mistakes I made.
    Six months ago I started a red scarf with a similar pattern – knit 2, purl 2 with an odd number so at the end of the row you would be left with purl 1. I believe it was called the mistake rib stitch. After reading this post, I pulled it out and finished it just in time for the New Year. Thanks for the unexpected reminder! 😀

Here’s a picture of the scarf! https://twitter.com/Danileafy/status/419958042508013568

Gorgeous! What fun — and I like the “mistake rib” stitch. I learned to knit early on, too, but it didn’t really “take” until college. 🙂

11. Rher says:

I learnt how to knit about a year ago, and I am TERRIBLE! Oh well… I am better at a lot of other thimgs, like choosing a good book to read..

12. Anne says:

Puget Sound!!! Like Betsy’s essay!!!!!