Gained in translation

March 22nd, 2014

Several months ago, a group of students at Chung Jung Christian University in Taiwain approached me to see if I’d allow them to translate ONCE UPON A TOAD into Chinese, for a class they were taking in translation and interpretation.Β  Since it was for academic purposes only, I gave my permission, and earlier this week I received this:

1020279240802

Success!Β  Are they adorable or what? Look at those beaming faces and beautiful smiles — you can see how pleased they are with all their hard work.

cover

I am, too — I just wish I could read Chinese!

24 Responses to “Gained in translation”

1. Chocoholic says:

Oh wow…that is SO cool! Now there will be Heather Vogel Frederick fans in China, too!

2. Carter says:

Wow!! That is soo cool! Now people who speak Chinese can experience Once Upon a Toad too!!! Even more of a reason for MDBC to be made into movies!!!! And actually, I think once upon a toad would make a great movie too!

That is so cool! Congrats to those students for their success . I think the cover is so cute πŸ™‚

4. Carter says:

Wait….can people other than the translator students read it?

No, Carter — it won’t be for sale. Just for the purposes of the translating class that these students were taking.

Haha! That’s so sweet! The cover looks amazing πŸ™‚

6. Chocoholic says:

Hey, Mrs..Frederick, now that I think about it, in the sixth (but not last…) mother daughter book club book, didn’t Megan have a blog post called “Lost in Translation”? Because you named your blog post “Gained in Translation” , so I was just wondering…

Haha, I wasn’t directly thinking of Megan’s blog, but “Lost in Translation” is a well-used phrase, and I thought I’d turn it on its head because I’ve gained something very fun with this new book! πŸ™‚

7. Adriana says:

That’s amazing! I love foreign languages! Its inspiring that they picked your book to translate!

8. ChloΓ« says:

Such a cute cover!

9. eman says:

that is sooooo cute! i wish i could read Chinese too!

10. Summerlover says:

It looks really amazing!

11. Kami says:

That’s so cool!

Wow, that is SO cool!! I wish I could read Chinese, too. πŸ˜€

13. Samantha says:

That is so cool, I wonder if that’s possible in Spanish. πŸ™‚

I can read Chinese, since both of my parents are from China! I wish I had a copy…

15. Jane Blogger says:

Congrats, Mrs.Frederick! They truly look happy. What other languages are you hoping to expand to?

Well, this was a completely “unofficial” translation — just for academic credit. My Spy Mice books were translated into a number of other languages, though, including Czech and Thai! Cool, huh?

16. Alyssa Alford says:

Hi my name Is Alyssa and I am 11 yrs. old. My friend Taylor and I enjoy reading your books and we were wondering if you could make movies out of Once Upon a Toad and all of the Mother Daughter Book Club books. Please e- mail me back. Thank you!

Hi Alyssa — Ooo, movies would be fun, wouldn’t they? Unfortunately, it’s not up to me. Let’s hope someone in Hollywood reads the books and think they would make great films! πŸ™‚

• Ems says:

Sorry to ruin it for you, but my siser tried to send it to someone in hollywood, but all that came back was a pathetic letter, for some reason it didn’t even look like they tried to read them, it totally stinks

17. Trinity says:

My sister, Hope, was adopted from China before I was born. I wish she could still speak Chinese (now, she doesn’t know a word, ha). Then we could buy her the book and she could read it to us! It would be cool to see the illustrations, if there are any. The cover is too cute, by the way.