Badge of honor

May 21st, 2014

I recently did my last school presentation of the year at Whitworth Elementary here in Oregon. I love their mascot, their school spirit, and their school wolf “HOWL”:

Whitworth

Excellent words to live by.

It was a fabulous day, with loads of great questions for me from the smart and lively students (and all the students were definitely smart and lively!). School visits are so energizing for us writers, who spend most of our time alone, spinning words into what we hope is gold for our readers…

Speaking of spinning words, Whitworth’s delightful librarian Deanne Harms prodded me to share a picture of my keyboard. “That’s the keyboard of a working writer,” she said when she spotted it, and it’s true. I wear out keyboards faster than I wear out computers. Check it out:

HVF Laptop

This is my MacBook Air. I have the 11″ model and I am truly, madly, deeply in love with it. It’s embarrassing how much I adore this amazing little machine! It’s light as a feather, slips neatly into my purse/backpack/carry-on, is able to leap tall buildings at a single bound–no wait, it can’t do that. But I bet it could if it tried! Best of all, it’s still going strong at nearly four years old.

Back to the keyboard. I think you need a closer look. Click on the picture below to enlarge it:

HVF Keyboard

Funny, huh? Good thing I know how to touch type! When you spend all day every day writing — which for me means typing on my laptop — this is what happens. It’s just a hazard of the job. And a badge of honor as well. Wearing out the keys on my keyboard means I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing: writing books for YOU!

And sometimes it means goofing off writing a blog post…Β  πŸ˜‰

8 Responses to “Badge of honor”

1. Carter says:

OMG!!!!! Good thing you know where the keys are!! That is a lot of writing!;)

2. Oh my goodness! πŸ™‚ That’s… wow. I didn’t think one could wear down their keyboard that much!! πŸ˜€ Apparently writers can!

3. Jenna C. Stone says:

That’s funny!! I do the same thing with my pencils! I use them until they brake!!! πŸ™‚

4. Samantha says:

That sounds so cool, the keyboard looks rather strange though. πŸ™‚

5. Daisy Blogger says:

Hi everyone! I’ve got some mdbc fan fiction on my blog! there isn’t any there right now though. YOU have to write what you want about the mdbc girls so please come and visit!

6. Gwyneth says:

My keyboard looks like that too XD Thankfully like you I’ve learned to touch-type.

7. Ems says:

that i might have some trouble relating to, probably partially because i (1)don’t have a laptop (2)don’t have that much time to myself on the computer(wish i did though) and last but not least (3)i end up handwriting about half of my “works of art”. i don’t know, i like to type to, when i can, it’s kind of hard to get on the computer with six siblings. i do when i can though

Well, when I started out all I had was a notebook and a pen. That was W-A-Y before computers and laptops! πŸ˜‰