Going dark for a bit

September 5th, 2014

Do not disturb writer at work

I’m signing off for a couple of weeks to FINISH MDBC #7 (which still doesn’t have a title, believe it or not).

Behave yourselves while I’m gone, OK?

I’ll have lots to tell you when I return, and lots to share, including a sneak peek (finally) of ABSOLUTELY TRULY, which is mere WEEKS away from its book birthday!  (And which is available for pre-order from your favorite bookseller, hint hint…) It just received this glowing review from Kirkus:

“Moving from Texas to New Hampshire, displaced 12-year-old Truly Lovejoy finds herself solving two local mysteries while adjusting to small-town life.

Everything changes when Truly’s Army pilot father loses an arm in Afghanistan and returns home depressed, causing her parents to unexpectedly relocate to rural Pumpkin Falls to manage her grandparents’ failing bookshop. Just under 6 feet tall and worried she won’t fit in, Truly’s surprised how quickly she feels part of both school and community as she helps in the bookshop, tries out for the swim team and practices ballroom dancing for Cotillion at the Winter Festival. Convinced a signed, first edition of Charlotte’s Web she’s discovered will alleviate the bookshop’s financial woes, Truly’s determined to catch the thief when the volume vanishes. Meanwhile, a cryptic message she finds inside the book triggers an elaborate treasure hunt as Truly and her new friends decipher clues leading them to hair-raising escapades in the library, church bell tower and covered bridge. Truly tells her story in a relaxed voice, allowing readers to warm to her genuine, self-effacing, humorous, foot-in-her-mouth persona along with her realistically portrayed, fun-loving family and a bevy of eccentric Pumpkin Falls locals.

There’s never a dull moment in Pumpkin Falls with Truly Lovejoy on the case in this contemporary, feel-good series opener.”

I am so thrilled that the first review out of the gate is such a great one!  Thank you, anonymous reviewer, whoever you are!

When I return, I’ll also be able to (finally) offer a few hints about MDBC #7 — and some pictures, too, since I’ll be spending some time on location at the place where the story is set.  Fun, huh?

Ciao 4 niao, everyone!

P.S.  And if you’re on deadline too, or you know someone who is, click here for DIY instructions for this cool door knob sign:

Writer at work

40 Responses to “Going dark for a bit”

1. Tricia mcneil says:

Truly sounds like a wonderful character. What a talent you have and using it brings so much joy to so many. Love you, dear friend!! Xo tm

2. Hana says:

Looking forward to MDBC #7!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Jenna C. Stone says:

Have fun! I do hope you come up with a name soon. Oh, I can’t wait to see you! Sophie and I are really excited!!!

Good luck!

Jenna

4. Lysandra says:

Hey,
    I was just wondering for Megan’s designs where do you get the idea for each outfit as in what is your inspiration.

Oh gosh, I leaf through fashion magazines, grasping at straws ha ha! I am the opposite of Megan when it comes to fashion. Fashion-challenged, perhaps? My idea of a great outfit is my favorite jeans and a T-shirt ha ha…

5. cailey says:

I just can’t wait for Absolutely Truly and MDBC#7 .
    I’ve been looking forward to October ever since!
    I have read many books but none come close to your books!!!
    Hope you have a good writing day!

Wow! Almost finished writing MDBc #7 already?? It seems like just yesterday the 6th book came out. Sigh!

7. Jillian says:

Not sure where else to ask it so I will ask it here. Do you think you will do anymore Patience Goodspeed books? I really enjoyed those two books. 🙂

8. Hello heather! Thanks for giving us a notice! I cant wait for an update for mdbc #7!!!!!! yay!!!!!!

Do you think that you can take a look at my blog before you get into your ‘zone’? I think you will like the topic….
    Let me know what you think!
    Thanks!

9. Ann says:

When is the 7th MDBC book going to be released? Can’t wait! 🙂

10. OMG! I can’t even express to you my excitement for Absolutely Truly. It sounds like my kind of book!! Of COURSE I can hardly stand waiting for MDBC #7. I don’t know how I am going to wait so long… can’t wait for your next post!

11. Samantha says:

Hope to hear form you soon, your posts are the highlights of my month. Happy Writing.

Aww, I’ll miss you! But good luck with MDBC #7, and I’m definitely looking forward to your next post!

13. [C+T](J+D){E+S}~M+S~¢B+T¢ says:

Love(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) The voyage of patience goodspeed, I got it from the library and finished it in less than a week, it was soooooo good, can’t wait for MBDC#7 2 come out!

My daughter Grace and I met you at a coffee shop a few years ago for a book signing. We were so excited to hear that you are writing number 7 that we had to tell you thank you. We love this series so much and are looking forward to reading it “together.” Blessing to you from Okinawa Japan!

15. Sophietophie says:

I’m so excited Ms. Fredrick! I’ve been in love with your books since I was 9 (I’m 14 now), I can’t wait to read it! <3, Sophie

16. Cailey says:

I cant wait till MDBC#7!! By far the MDBC series is my favorite you make the characters so relatable! I cant wait for Absolutely Truly, I have no doubt its going to be amazing! I cant wait till they come out in book stores!

Dear Mrs. Frederick, are you thinking about writing a sequel to Once Upon A Toad? I love that book!

18. Varsha says:

Can’t wait for the next book! And Heather and other Heather Vogel Frederick enthusiasts :), I wanted to share something with you guys. I love to read fanfiction and I found this pretty good fanfiction of MDBC. I’ve only read the first two chapters but I would recommend checking it out. 🙂
    Here’s the link:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10088056/1/Returning-Home

Thanks!!!

19. MDBC Lover says:

Can’t wait 🙂 Hoping for some cute scenes between Jess and Darcy and Cassidy and Tristan 🙂

20. Magan Rose:) says:

I just have to say OMG! I can not wait to read Absolutely Truly!!!!!!!!!! Yay!

You said to post our favorite Louisa May Alcott qoutes. I have two, here they are.

“Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.”

“Conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing it and using it well should satisfy one; and the great charm of all power is modesty.”

Also, have a question when will the seventh Mother Daughter Book Club come out? I love the series!

Great quotes, Grace! Not sure when MDBC 7 will be published. I’m finishing it up, then it will go through the editing process, at which point they’ll schedule it. Stay tuned! So glad you love the series!

What book will they read in the seventh MDBC book? Will there be an eighth when you are done with the seventh? I am glad you are making more, I was worried cause in the Author’s Note in Wish You Were Eyre, you said you were sad that it was the last one.