Fan mail Friday

January 2nd, 2015

First of all, a very Happy New Year to you all!

Happy New Year birds

Can you believe it’s 2015?

It’s now officially the year that Marty McFly traveled to in the movie Back to the Future II.

Marty McFly 2015

What? You haven’t seen Back to the Future II?!  What are you doing reading this blog? Go right now and watch it.  Now!  Go!  Shoo!

I’m still waiting for my hoverboard to show up…

hoverboard

Meanwhile, what HAS shown up is wonderful, fabulous mail in my mailbox! And I want to share some of it with you. (By the way, I have just one New Year’s resolution this year:  Catching up on all my mail. If you’ve been waiting patiently to hear back from me, please be patient just a wee bit longer…)

How would you like to find an envelope addressed like THIS in your mailbox?

Hand-lettered envelope

This is from Lydia and Hannah, and the envelope was HAND-LETTERED and decorated by Lydia (I couldn’t put all of it on here, because I want to keep their return address private). Absolutely knocked my socks off. Someone has a promising future as a graphic designer and artist, don’t you think?

Inside was a letter, also BEAUTIFULLY decorated …

Lydia and Hannah letter

… and so very enthusiastic and kind it just made my heart sing! I am so humbled and grateful to have readers like all of you.

In addition to this fabulous letter (not gonna show you the other side, because of personal information), there was this very clever and accomplished drawing:

MDBC hair

If you click on it, it should enlarge for you. It’s by Hannah, and isn’t it wonderful? I LOVE the idea of showing the characters’ hairstyles — from the back!  So unique! Your artistic career is inevitable too, Hannah, from what I see!

Thanks, girls, for starting my new year off with a bang! And look for a reply from me in your mailbox soon…

15 Responses to “Fan mail Friday”

1. Ellen Beier says:

Wow Heather that is something else! That is a treasure.
    Happy New Year xx
    Ellen B

2. Megan says:

That is a wonderful idea, to draw out the characters of the MDBC from the back! It can really describe their personalities!

Happy New Year!
    By the way, any news on the MDBC #7 yet?

3. Brooke says:

I wish I would have thought to draw the characters from the back. Great job Lydia and Hannah. I wrote you a letter a few months ago but I understand that you are very busy and it takes you a while to get to fan mail. I would rather have you write another book than get to our fan mail right away. I sent you a picture with my letter that I drew. It took me a few hours to draw because I wanted to capture the characters personalities as best as I could. I hope you enjoy my picture, though it is not the best.

Brooke, I am FINALLY getting to my pile of email and mail, and just dropped a letter off to you in the mail over the weekend. Look for it in your mailbox soon! 🙂

• Brooke says:

Oh wow. You just made my day. And I’m sorry for spelling your last name wrong. I didn’t notice that I had spelled it wrong until after a sent it. Very sorry. I am a horrinle speller( ask my mom. I’m home schooled). I’ll be checking my ail box every day. You are tied for first place on my list of favorite authors. You are tied with J.K. Rowling. I read her books when I was nine. You are very close to beating her. I just adore your books.

• Brooke says:

You are no longer tied. You are my favorite author! I just got your letter and I cant stop smiling. I am going to put the stickers on my books as soon as I’m done writing this. I can’t wait to see my drawing on your blog. Though it is not very good. I’m not nearly as good as Megan. You are Mrs. Hawthorne for sure. I love the bookmark. I would be absolutely ( pun intended:) ) thrilled to help you with military terms( though you could probably find people with more knowledge. Thankfully my dad has never been injured while he has been deployed. Also I am an air force child so the terms are a little different than army. You may receive another letter in the future ;).

Wow! I’m up there with J. K. Rowling! 😉

4. cailey says:

I wrote you in the summer haha . I really hope it didn’t get lost in the mail or anything. I can’t wait for the last book in the MDBC,I’m sad that it will be the last book!You crafted the series so well!!!!

5. Malika says:

When I heard there was going to be a 7th book I screamed and almost dropped my laptop! I am literally counting down the days until the book comes out and I adore the series. I have a little question for you? What age group would YOU suggest the series to be? I have a younger sister (9 years old) and she’s eager to read them, but I only read them when I was 12… 🙂 Thank you so much for creating such a wonderful series, and have an fantastic new year! 🙂